Visa & Immigration

Pre-Departure Information

Do I need a visa to study in Ireland?

Please check countries whose nationals are visa required on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website:

How do I apply for a Student Visa before coming to Ireland?

Please check visa application process on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website:

How long will it take for the decision?

Applications are processed in date order.


You are advised not to purchase travel tickets before you know the outcome of your visa application.


Processing times can vary between countries. They can also vary during high volume periods during the year. However, you can generally expect a decision within 8 weeks from the date on which your application is lodged at the Visa Office/Embassy/Consulate. 


Your application may take longer if e.g. you have not submitted all necessary supporting documentation, your supporting documentation needs to be verified or because of your personal circumstances (e.g. if you have a criminal conviction).


You can check the processing times for the Visa Office/Embassy/Consulate that is handling your application on their website.

If your application is being processed by the Visa Office, Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, Department of Justice and Equality, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin you can check the date of the applications currently being processed on our Following your Application page.

Appeal a visa decision

If your visa application is refused you may have the right appeal against the decision.

If your visa application has been refused on the grounds that you submitted false or misleading information or false supporting documentation as part of your application it may be refused without a right of appeal.

Your letter of refusal will explain the reasons for refusal and notify you whether you have a right of appeal, and if so, where to lodge your appeal.

Refusals must be appealed within 2 months of the refusal date. There is no charge for an appeal against refusal of a visa

If your visa application was processed by an overseas office of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, you must submit your appeal directly to that office, the details of which will be on your letter of refusal.

In the case of all other applications you must submit your appeal to:

Visa Appeals Officer
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2

Original passports must not be included with your appeal.

Appeals must be in written form. Faxed or emailed appeals will not be considered.

The appeal letter submitted with your appeal must be signed and dated by the applicant. Appeals submitted by a third party must be accompanied by a letter signed and dated by the applicant, authorising the third party to act on their behalf.

You can send any further information or additional documentation that you wish to have taken into account to the Visa Appeals Officer.

Provision of additional documentation will be considered but does not guarantee approval of the application. You must quote the visa application reference number on all correspondence.

On receipt of the appeal, the Appeals Officer will review the application again, taking account of any further comments you have made in the grounds of appeal and of any supporting documentation. On examination and review the original decision may be reversed. If the Appeals Officer does not alter the decision, you will be notified in writing.

Appeals may take up to 8 weeks from date of receipt of appeal by the relevant Visa Office.

Can I work in Ireland during my studies in Ireland?

Non-EEA students who are permitted to reside in the State on a stamp 2 immigration permission are allowed to avail of a work concession.  Under this concession a student may work in Ireland  in a casual part-time capacity without a work permit.

Following a further review of the work concession the following changes will apply with effect from 01 September 2016.

From 1 September 2016 students holding a valid  immigration stamp 2  permission will be permitted work 40 hours per week only during the months of June, July, August and September and from 15 December to 15 January inclusive.  At all other times students holding Immigration permission Stamp 2 will be limited to working 20 hours per week.

It should be noted also that the hours specified are the maximum that a student can work in any given week and not an average over time.  A student who is working for more than one employer remains subject to the overall limits (e.g. during the period when the 20 hour limit applies a student could not work 15 hours each for 2 employers).  The permission to work ceases on the expiry of the students Stamp 2 immigration permission.

PPS Number: 

Your Personal Public Service Number (PPS number) is a unique reference number that helps you access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.

Before you can be allocated a PPS number, you must show that you need one for a transaction with a specified body. For example, if you are taking up employment, you need a PPS number to register with the Revenue Commissioners. However, looking for work is not a transaction with a specified body and employers should not look for your PPS number when recruiting. An employer should only seek a PPS number if you are actually taking up employment with the organisation.

State agencies that use PPS numbers to identify individuals include the Department of Social Protection, the Revenue Commissioners and the Health Service Executive (HSE).

A PPS number is always 7 numbers followed by either one or two letters. For more information on how to apply for a PPS number, please follow this link:

How do I register/ apply to extend my student visa?

  • If you wish to study in Ireland for less than three months you should apply for a 'C study visa'. If your course lasts longer than three months, you should apply for a 'D study visa'.
  • If you hold a 'C study visa' and wish to extend the period of your stay in Ireland, you should visit the GNIB office on Burgh Quay. You may also be requested to apply in writing for your visa extension to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (INIS). Generally speaking, the duration of a 'C study visa', (that is, a three-month visa for study in Ireland) is not extended once you have arrived in Ireland. Extensions will be granted in exceptional cases only. It's very important therefore to make sure you know the duration of your course before you apply for a visa.

For information on Registration appointments and necessary documents please see Registration as an English or Irish language student.

Attendance at Course

  • You have been granted a Study Visa on the basis that you will attend school/college to partake in a course which involves at least 15 hours of organised daytime tuition each week
  • It will be necessary for you to show evidence of your attendance record to the Garda National Immigration Bureau when seeking to have your permission to remain in the State extended
  • If you do not show a satisfactory attendance rate at your course you will not be entitled to remain in the State. It is expected that students will be able to demonstrate an attendance rate of 85% or higher at their chosen course of study to which the visa relates. More details on Attendance and Punctuality under the College Policies.

Re-entry Visas

  • The initial visa issued to you will be valid for a single entry to the State
  • If you have a valid reason for leaving the State for a short period of time you must apply, in advance of making any arrangements, for a Re-entry visa
  • You must be able to prove you will be continuing with your studies on your return to the State
  • Before a re-entry visa can be issued, you must be registered with the Garda National Immigration Bureau
  • For information on how and where you can apply for a Re-entry visa please see Re-entry Visas
  • It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct visa (where relevant) for the country you intend travelling to 

NOTE: A visa must be obtained from the UK authorities prior to travelling to Northern Ireland (Northern Ireland consists of Counties Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh and Tyrone)

Enquire about a course

If you have questions or you want to book this course, please use the form below.